Last updated on August 23rd, 2022 at 10:53 am
*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Soft pretzels are a great snack. You can find them at shopping malls, theaters, the ballpark, and even some gas stations. They can be delicious plain or even dipped in cheese or mustard. You can also add sugar or garlic parmesan to your pretzels for some other delicious flavors.
Soft pretzels can also work well on hamburgers as pretzel buns too.
Are you able to freeze soft pretzels? If you make some at home, can you freeze what you’ve made?
Soft pretzels can be frozen. Soft pretzels will typically last in the freezer for up to 9 months. You can make your own pretzels and freeze them or purchase already frozen pretzels from the store.
If you are wanting to freeze bags of pretzels that can be done as well. However you will need to make sure the bag stays sealed as if moisture gets inside the pretzels will become mushy and no good.
What Is The Best Way To Reheat Soft Pretzels?
You can enjoy the comfort food of soft pretzels in your own home. You can either make the pretzel yourself or buy some frozen pretzels. Typically, the easiest way to enjoy a warm, soft pretzel is by purchasing frozen pretzels and warming them up at home.
However, it can be quite difficult to make your frozen pretzels taste just like your favorite theater, ballpark, or shopping snack. Is it possible to reheat your pretzels and keep them soft in the process?
There are two different ways that you can use to warm up your pretzels and keep them soft.
- Reheat your soft pretzels in the toaster oven/oven: This is the best method to use when warming up your soft pretzels. You’ll need to turn the toaster oven/oven to 400ºF. Cover the pretzels with aluminum foil and place them in the oven. Bake the pretzels for 3-5 minutes. If you find that the pretzels are still frozen in spots, you can keep them in a little longer than 5 minutes. Once the pretzels are fully warmed, you can take them out of the toaster oven/oven and serve them with some cheese or mustard.
- Reheat your soft pretzels in the microwave: This is the fastest way to warm up your pretzel. Place your pretzel on a microwavable plate. Microwave your pretzel in 10-15 second bursts. If you are warming up a frozen pretzel, microwave at 30-second intervals.
How Do You Make Soft Pretzels?
Pretzels are comfort food that may not be nutritious but certainly are delicious. You can even fill pretzels with cheese and pepperoni for a pepperoni pretzel. You can also fill a pretzel with cream cheese and cover the outside with sugar for a sweet and salty pretzel.
However you enjoy your pretzel, is it difficult to make your own at home?
Making a pretzel is not a quick and easy process, but is definitely fun and worth it. Here’s a recipe that you can follow to create your own favorite flavor of pretzels.
- Make the dough: You’ll need 1 ½ c warm water, 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp brown sugar or sugar, 1 tbsp melted unsalted butter, 3 ¾ c all-purpose flour, salt, ½ c baking soda, and 9 cups water for a salt bath. Whisk the yeast into the 1 ½ c warm water. Set the mixture aside for about a minute. Whisk in a pinch of salt, sugar, and melted butter. Slowly add in the cups of flour, one cup at a time. Mix until the dough is no longer sticky. If the dough is still sticky, keep adding flour. If the dough bounces back when you poke it, it’s ready to knead.
- Knead the pretzel dough: Put flour on a flat surface. Knead the dough on the floured surface for about 3 minutes. Cover with a towel and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Get the baking soda bath ready: Get the baking soda and nine cups of water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Roll the dough: Roll the dough out into 20-inch ropes. Create your pretzel shape with the ropes. You can also get creative and roll your pretzels into unique shapes or pretzel balls too.
- Give the pretzels a baking soda bath: Drop one or two of your formed pretzels into the boiling pot of water for about 20 seconds. Any longer than 30 seconds and the pretzels will taste metallic. Use a slotted spatula or spoon to remove the pretzel from the mixture and place it on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the pretzel with salt or desired flavoring.
- Bake your pretzels: Bake your pretzels for 12-15 minutes at 400ºF.
How Do You Know If Soft Pretzels Are Bad?
When you bite into a soft pretzel, you expect it to be just that, soft. However, if not stored properly, soft pretzels can end up being tough to chew. How do you know whether or not your soft pretzels are bad?
The best way to know if your pretzel has gone bad is by how hard the pretzel is. If you have a tough time tearing off a piece, your pretzel has gone bad. You will also be able to smell if the soft pretzel has gone bad as well.
Soft pretzels tend to go bad rather quickly. Soft pretzels will last in the fridge for about three days before going bad. If you make yourself a sweet pretzel that is covered in cinnamon sugar, it will only last in the fridge for two days.
How Do You Keep Hard Pretzels From Going Stale?
Hard pretzels are just mini, hard versions of soft pretzels. Hard pretzels can be enjoyed by themselves, flavored, or eaten with various dips. If you have a sweet tooth, you can dip your pretzels in peanut butter, frosting, or even chocolate.
If you would rather stay away from the sweets, you can dip them in mustard too.
After you’ve opened the bag of pretzels, it can seem like they go stale rather quickly. Stale pretzels will typically not taste very salty anymore and have no crunch. Is there a way that you can extend the shelf life of your pretzels?
The best way to ensure that your pretzels won’t go stale is by properly sealing them. You can either remove the pretzels from their original packaging and place them into an air-tight container or use a clip to seal the bag. Keeping your hard pretzels from the air is how you will prevent them from going stale.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Covered Pretzels?
Chocolate-covered pretzels are the perfect combination of sweet and salty. They are an especially great treat to enjoy during the holidays. You can create holiday-themed, chocolate-covered pretzels by covering them in colored chocolate or sprinkles.
You can also enjoy chocolate-covered pretzels as an everyday treat too. However you decide to enjoy these pretzels, are you able to make them last longer by placing them in the freezer?
You can put chocolate-covered pretzels in the freezer. Chocolate-covered pretzels hold up quite well in the freezer. This delicious treat will last in an air-tight container at room temperature for about a month. If you place chocolate-covered pretzels in the freezer, they will last almost indefinitely.
One thing to remember is don’t allow the chocolate-covered pretzels to thaw for too long. The hard pretzel will end up getting soggy during the defrosting process.