*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pico de Gallo translated means, the beak of the rooster. While eating the beak of a rooster does not sound very appetizing, Pico de Gallo is.
It is believed that the name came to be because of the way Pico de Gallo was originally eaten. You would pinch some of the salsa between your fingers, like a rooster’s beak, and eat the salsa. Since then, Pico de Gallo has been used as an additive salsa to many dishes.
What if you were to make or purchase Pico de Gallo in large quantities? You would have enough Pico de Gallo for parties and months of Taco Tuesdays.
If you decided to freeze some of your extra Pico de Gallo can you?
You can freeze Pico de Gallo. However, after a while in the freezer, the Pico de Gallo will start to lose its texture.
The water in the tomatoes expands when they are frozen. This will make the tomatoes in the Pico de Gallo much softer. You can also blend the Pico de Gallo and avoid the issue of soft tomatoes altogether.
When you freeze the Pico de Gallo, be sure to drain all the excess juice. Draining the juice from Pico de Gallo will help prevent any ice crystals from forming in the extra juices.
After you have drained all the extra juice, place the Pico de Gallo into an air-tight container. The Pico de Gallo will last for up to three months in the freezer before it’s taste and consistency start to change.
To see the most popular kitchen gadgets just click here.
How Should You Store Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo is made with tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeños, salt, and lime juice. It does not take very long to make and can be enjoyed with several dishes.
After making your Pico de Gallo is there a way to store it so it will last longer?
Pico de Gallo is best eaten fresh. If you have leftovers, the best way to store them is in an air-tight container.
The Pico de Gallo will keep for four days in the fridge. The mixture will become mellow and lose quite a bit of its flavor over time. To fix this, you can add a few drops of fresh lime juice to the mixture and stir well.
It is important to remember to refrigerate your Pico de Gallo after use since it is made from fresh vegetables. The best way to store your Pico de Gallo for longer periods of time is in the freezer.
What Foods Can You Eat With Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo is a delicious mix of chunky vegetables. Originally, Pico de Gallo was eaten all by itself. The motion of pinching the chopped vegetables between your thumb and first finger and placing it into your mouth is where this food got its name.
The beak of the rooster translates to Pico de Gallo. While some people still eat this mixture of vegetables just by itself, many will use it as an additive to other foods.
Here are a few of the more popular ways that you can use Pico de Gallo?
- Add to tacos: You can add a spoonful of Pico de Gallo to your tacos. This will add an extra kick of flavor in addition to adding a helping of vegetables on Taco Tuesdays.
- Serve with chips: Dip your chip in the Pico de Gallo mixture and eat it like salsa. You can also add the Pico de Gallo to guacamole and eat with tortilla chips.
- Mix with scrambled eggs: Do you make eggs in the morning? Great, add some Pico de Gallo for some extra flavor.
- Top grilled chicken: Adding some Pico de Gallo to the top of your grilled chicken will make it even better. You can serve the chicken on a bed of rice and top it off with a spoonful of Pico de Gallo.
- Add to salads: Are you looking for a way to liven up your salads? You can add Pico de Gallo as your dressing. Instead of using empty calories on Ranch or Italian dressings for your salads, you can use a healthy mixture of Pico de Gallo.
The possibilities are virtually endless for how to use Pico de Gallo.
How Do You Make Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo adds a great kick of vibrant flavor to your favorite dishes. You can scoop it up with a chip, add it to tacos, or even eat it by itself.
Pico de Gallo is a fresh chunky salsa that is a great additive to almost any dish. Follow these directions to create your own homemade Pico de Gallo.
- Gather your ingredients.
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 large jalapeño – remove the ribs and seeds and finely dice the jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt – more to taste
- 5 firm Roma tomatoes – remove seeds and finely dice
- 1 cup cilantro leaves fine chopped and loosely packed
- Place the onions, jalapeños, lime juice, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. It is best to allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes to maximize the flavor.
- Add the tomatoes and cilantro to the bowl and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes. Taste the Pico de Gallo and make adjustments if needed.
- Enjoy the Pico de Gallo by itself, with chips, or as an addition to your favorite dish.
Is Pico de Gallo Healthy?
Comfort foods are becoming increasingly popular. Comfort foods are delicious but do not offer much nutritional value.
If you are enjoying a Mexican-style dinner, and reach for some tacos, will adding Pico de Gallo make those comfort tacos a little bit healthier?
Pico de Gallo is considered healthy. Since the dish is primarily made of vegetables, it is a healthier alternative to some of the other dips and sauces that you can add to your tacos or nachos.
Pico de Gallo is low in calories and has zero fat. Be sure to reach for this additive spice instead of extra cheese and sour cream.
Whether you prefer to eat Pico de Gallo by itself or as an additive to other dishes, it adds a great kick of flavor to your food. Pico de Gallo does not take long to make and if stored properly can last up to three months in your freezer.